Table of Contents
- Award Number and Amount
- Special Opportunity
- Application Materials
- Special Instructions for NCORE 2017
- When Recipients will be Announced
The Diversity Programs’ Professional Development Award was established to support diverse graduate students at UVA by providing funds for activities related to their career development for which funds may not exist. Potential uses of the funds include workshops, short courses, research supplies and or activities, research travel, conference attendance and any other reasonable activity the student deems necessary for their professional development as they prepare for career after the successful completion of their tenure at UVA.
10 awards with a maximum value of $1,000 each
Two awards- all expenses paid including registration, travel, and hotel to attend the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity (NCORE)
- Graduate and Professional students enrolled full time in a degree seeking program at the time of submission in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or above
- Individuals belonging to one or more of the following classes:
- Must be an underrepresented minority, URM, in their particular discipline. The term URM includes- African Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Hispanic Americans, or Pacific Islanders/Native Hawaiians.
- Person with disabilities. Under ADA, an individual is considered to have a disability if he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of his or her major life activities and has a record of such impairment and can provide documentation.
- A gender minority (<35% of the current graduate population in the department).
- A first-generation college student (a student whose legal custodian(s) did not complete a four-year college degree).
Please submit the following in one email to Keishajohn@virginia.edu:
- A cover sheet with the following information- Applicant’s Name, Email, Program/Department, School, Degree Program, Number of Years at UVA, name of Reference Writer
- 2-page CV or Resume.
- A 500-word description of the event, including dates and locations. If possible, applicants should also submit a brochure, print-out or other promotional material for the activity.
- A 1000-word essay describing your career goals, how the event you plan to attend will impact and/or aligns with your career goals, and how it relates to your degree program and professional development.
- Complete budget with justification.
- List of other funding sources both potential and current to supplement this funding, including funds from faculty mentor, program, department, school or personal.
- Only open to students returning to UVA in the Fall of 2017.
- Please submit application materials numbers 1, 2 and 4.
- Additionally, if you are selected to attend you will need to commit to sharing your experiences on a blog post or facilitating an activity related to the NCORE Conference at UVA in the Fall of 2017.
- In addition, all applicants, Professional Development Award and NCORE, please have 1 faculty or staff member from your department submit a letter of support to Keishajohn@virginia.edu by the application deadline.
February 17th, 2017 (must use funds before August 20th, 2017) and September 30th, 2017 (must use funds before January 30th, 2018)
On or around March 15th.