This year we are offering an opportunity for students from Minority Serving Institutions as well as those currently enrolled in schools in the state of Virginia to receive funding to participate in UVA’s Summer Language Institute programs, visit their site to learn more about the programs. The Summer Language Institute is sponsored by the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs Diversity Programs and the Schools of Arts and Sciences at UVA.
The Diversity Programs’ Summer Language Institutes Award was established to support the language skills development of diverse students at Minority Serving Institutions in the United States and in the state of Virginia by providing funds for participation in the UVA Summer Language institute. Eligible languages are Arabic, Chinese, German, Latin, Russian, and Tibetan. Students who are residents of Virginia can apply for credit while those who are not residents of Virginia can take the non-credit option.
Two students will receive awards covering:
- Living allowance for housing and food during the program
Participants must enroll in a language not offered at their university and meet one of the following requirements:
- A student currently enrolled at a Minority Serving Institution in the United States who will be returning to that institution in fall 2017 to continue their studies.
- A student currently enrolled at a university in the state of Virginia who will be returning to that institution in the fall of 2017 to contiue their studies.
Please submit the following in one email to email@example.com:
- A cover sheet with the following information: your name, phone number, email, university, major program/department, degree program, year in program, and the name of your reference writer.
- 2-page CV or resume
- A 1000-word essay describing your career goals, how your participation in the Summer Language Institute will impact and/or with your career goals, and how it relates to your current degree program and professional development.Submit your application to the Summar Language Institute by March 15th, 2017.
In addition, you must:
- Have one faculty member from your school submit a letter of recommendation that addresses your language fluency and/or how participating in this program aligns with your career goals- workforce or graduate school. The faculty member must submit the letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15th.
- Fill out the online application form at the Summer Language Institute website.
Deadline: March 15th, 2017
Recipients Announced: on or around April 15th
Please contact Keisha John at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.