- Income Sources
- Sample Budgeting Guide
- Financial Services and Aid
- Helpful Mailing Lists and Societies
- 10 Things to Know
|Income Source||Where to Find out|
|Stipend||Email your program coordinator|
|Grants||For example: NSF, Ford Foundation, Double Hoo Grant, Jefferson Fellowship. Contact your department.|
|Diversity Scholarships and Fellowships||Graduate & Postdoctoral Affairs Scholarship List|
|Part-time Work||Indeed, Jobs@UVA, CareerBuilder, Handshake, UVA Student Employment Overview|
|Teaching Assistant Positions||Consult your advisor or program coordinator|
|Research Assistant Positions||
Consult your advisor, program coordinatior, or simply look through webpages for faculty members in your department and email professor doing research that interests you.
|Program Coordinator Positions||Grad students can work as coordinators for the undergraduate Echols Scholars Program and can work as coordinators for Summer Undergraduate Research Programs (contact your department)|
|Internships||Attend the career fairs held each semester; research companies that interest you and apply.|
|Other?||Ask advisor, program coordinator, or department head.|
- Black Graduate and Professional Student Organization
- GSAS Grad Council Interest List
- Grad Latinx 2017
- UVA LGBTQ Center
- Women in Math and Science
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs Housing Guide
- UVA Off-Grounds Housing
- Charlottesville Apartments on Craigslist
- ApartmentList.com - Charlottesville
We talked to a psychology PhD student who offered these ten pieces of advice:
- Find a community you belong to.
- It's important to make time for self care.
- Exercise is healthy, cathartic, and improves your focus.
- Find study spaces (e.g., a coffee shop or a favorite library room)
- Explore Charlottesville
- Escape Charlottesville
- It's OK if you feel like you don't belong; beware of imposter syndrome
- Failure is a normal part of being grad student
- Find people outside your department--it's good to befriend people who have different experiences and don't feel as much of a need to compare yourself with. Plus, it's probably safer to vent about your problems to them.
- It's OK to pursue other things.