The UVA Diversity Influencers is a multidisciplinary leadership team and advisory board composed of graduate students and postdoctoral scholars across Grounds. The Diversity Influencers are change agents committed to the creation of a more diverse and inclusive learning environment for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars at UVA, especially for members from historically underrepresented and marginalized communities. To learn more about the members of the Diversity Influencers leadership team please click here.
For requests, inquiries, and questions about the Diversity Influencers, feel free to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) What Skills and Experiences Are Needed to Become a Diversity Influencer?
Diversity Influencers should have some leadership experience. In addition they should have an understanding of the specific needs of underrepresented graduate student and postdoctoral scholar populations at UVA. Diversity Influencers should be willing to collaborate with University constituents about programming, services and resources for underrepresented graduate student and postdoctoral scholar populations.
2) What amount of commitment is needed to be a Diversity Influencer?
Diversity Influencers should have a committed leadership to the University of Virginia and be willing to participate in monthly meetings with the Diversity Programs Office staff. The Diversity Influencers should be willing to plan and organize DEI events in collaboration with the Diversity Programs Office.
3) What are the main areas of focus for the Diversity Influencers?
Diversity Influencers should be competent in Intercultural/Cross Cultural Understanding, Advocacy Competencies, Identity Development Models, Communication Competencies, Conflict Resolution Skills, Attention to Power Dynamics, and Interests of Particular Constituencies/populations.
4) Is there specific training required to become a Diversity Influencer?
The Diversity Programs Office collaborates with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to provide "Inclusive Excellence Training" for all members of the Diversity Influencers Leadership team. In this training, graduate students and postdoctoal scholars learn about the key DEI initiatives for the University of Virginia.
5) Are Diversity Influencers paid for being on the leadership team?
The Diversity Influencers Leadership team is not a paid position.
6) When are applications due?
The Diversity Programs Office online applications open in June of each year.
- Graduate students and/or postdoctoral scholars from all fields and disciplines
- Prior leadership experience
- Commitment to serve the University of Virginia
- Willingness to advocate and implement change for a more diverse and inclusive learning experience for graduate and postdoctoral scholars, especially for members from historically underrepresented and marginalized communities.
- Ability to provide community enrichment, dialog and professional development opportunities for perspective and current graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
- Be able to provide insight and feedback about the specific needs of underrepresented graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
Online applications for the Diversity Influencers Leadership Board are available through Friday, May 20, 2022 at 12 noon at https://bit.ly/diversityinfluencer .